13 August 2016

Keyless Entry Anti-Theft Device

I was reading this article.

I don't know if my Corvette's keyless entry system is vulnerable to this attack or not.

Luckily, my car came with an anti-theft device from the factory:


I am just old enough to remember when this kind of transmission was called "standard" and when it changed to being "a stick" to the present "manual".

I learned to drive on a '76 Vega wagon with the iron lung inline four and a five speed manual.

I was one of only three people I knew who could drive a friend's '64 Valiant with three-on-the-tree.

Now I am one of those car-guy snobs who bought the stick because it's a better experience...  Being in control of the gear changes is more fun!  It's also a real pain in the knee in stop and go traffic.

Happily, with almost all the torque in the world available from idle, I don't often find myself praying for gears between gears, like I did with my old 4-speed '86 Civic.  The Civic needed a first-and-a-half and second-and-a-half gears quite often in traffic.

Feet to the fire though, if I were buying a brand new Vette today, I think I'd opt for the auto.  The paddles offer the control of a manual and the gear changes are blindingly quick.

2 comments:

  1. I traded my last stick in back in '12. I'd driven it daily since '07, but hadn't had a car with a stick in some time. Never driven anything with paddle shifters, but I know the race world abandoned manual shifting long ago. Modern automatics shift in milliseconds.

    I learned on a "four on the floor" Ford Pinto back in the last ice age. It was actually a decent little car, because it was as simple as can be - no power accessories at all. No A/C, no power windows, nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daily driver is a 6-spd BMW 325i, but when the wifey and I head up to LA, we take her Jeep which has an automatic. More than one time, I've come back with stiff/sore left leg after an LA run when taking the BMW. I totally get abandoning a manual, but I love driving mine.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.