10 May 2014

Registration

First.  The 4473 is so close to registration as makes no difference.  If you still own the gun you bought from an FFL and still live at the same address "they" know you have a particular gun.

The loophole is you can still sell the gun without telling anyone in most places and you don't have to tell the gunshop you've moved.

Second.  The speed that a trace happens with stunned me.  With ATF being prohibited from keeping computerized records I pictured a days long search for paper records.  Nope.  Cops call ATF, ATF calls SIG, SIG calls their distributor, distributor calls dealer, dealer calls ATF is the SLOWEST progression.  What really happens is cops call ATF with the serial, ATF calls everyone in the chain starting with the manufacturer and working down to the dealer.  Each link in the chain checks their computerized records and tells ATF whom they passed the gun to.  It probably takes less than an hour from the police initiating the trace!

Third.  I recall reading that unless we got a new law (that failed in Congress) that doing traces like this would be impossible for law enforcement.  Clearly that was a lie (which we said at the time and was instrumental in getting Congress to kill the bill).

All of this is in reference to a murder-suicide locally.  Guy shot his family, soaked his rented house in gasoline, lit $600 worth of fire-works then shot himself.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon my derp. I misread you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If you still own the gun you bought from an FFL and still live at the same address "they" know you have a particular gun."

    Ehhhh... not exactly. If they find a gun (or, I suppose, a serial number) they can trace it to the last person it was sold to in the system. This is why "No background checks for interpersonal sales!" is absolutely non-negotiable to me. As long as I can meet Joe Blow in a parking lot and trade cash money anonymously for a scoped .308, the 2nd Amendment still has some teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. All part of the IF that I am doing an amazing job of not making clear in my paranoid rantings. If someone was paying me for this, they'd be wanting a refund!

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.