23 May 2014

Withered On The Vine

I have a post in drafts about the gunfight in the vacant lot adjacent to the OK Corral.

The take-away is Tombstone's gun ban was mainly a political tool of the Earps to deal with their rivals and not merely a "crime's out of hand we need to do something" law.  Using the law and their positions as town marshall(s) to handle other conflicts unrelated to the crime the local cowboys were up to.

The Earp brothers were not exactly lilly white law-and-order folks.

The reason that post is in the drafts is the research backing up my take-away is like trying to look up one thing at TV Tropes.  There's material that backs up my claim, but organizing it into something readable is likely past my ability to write.  I'm still pecking at it and hope to have something before long.  It's at least interesting.

The second take-away is that such laws and ordinances were very rare in the old west.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.