27 December 2018

Somewhere I Have...

Those three words are my bane.

Somewhere I have the testing data from WW2 about what guns penetrated what and how far.

The reason I want this data instead of using wikipedia is the 75mm L/40 M3 gun on the Sherman would cause massive spalling on the face-hardened armor (FHA) the Germans were using.

It technically did not penetrate, which is the only metric that matters to people arguing on forums, but that is of small solace to the crew behind that FHA plate.

The problem with spalling, in fact, is why the Army insisted on cast hulls and turrets early on.  Cast armor with face hardening was more resistant to it than plate.

2 comments:

  1. Spalling is the reason French tank uniforms still included chainmail bits, especially over the lower face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say, French tank uniforms in WWI, interwar, and early WWII eras...

    Darned fingers not listening to the brain.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.