26 December 2018

Tubes

The stock I have been lovingly crafting butchering while I master checkering belongs to Marv's Sears Model 25.  This is a Sears Roebuck branded High-Standard Sport King semi-auto.

It uses a tube magazine.

My, inherited from my maternal grandfather, Remington 341A Sportsmaster bolt-action also feeds from a tube.

Something else these two guns have in common is their chambering, .22 Short, .22 Long and .22 Long-Rifle.

It's kind of neat how they can take rounds which are three different lengths and still be magazine fed.

I should have been more familiar with the concept because I also own pump shotguns.  They feed from tube magazines as well, and have no problems with different length shells.  Well, within limits.

The Remington 870 won't cycle the cute little 1-3/4" mini-shells.  The much older Winchester Model 12 Heavy Duck feeds them fine.  I've never had a 2-1/2" shell to test with, but both handle the common as dirt 2-3/4" and 3" rounds.

Marv's KSG cheerfully eats 1-3/4", 2-3/4" and 3" rounds as well.

What I don't think I've ever seen is a box magazine .22 which can handle the shorter versions of .22 LR.  It doesn't seem like it would be impossible, especially for a bolt action, but was it done?

What's also apparent is .22 Short and .22 Long stopped being popular enough for gun makers to bother with as .22 Long-Rifle supplanted them and reigned supreme.

1 comment:

  1. The Mossberg 44US model has a pin that screws into the base plate and effectively shortens the magazine to work with 22 shorts. I have the magazine, and I have the pin, but only recently have gotten a couple boxes of shorts, so have not tried it out for function yet.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.