26 March 2019

Thag Want Lurn

Been reading about DCS World.

That sure is neat.  I do love a good flight sim.

I also love me the F-8 Crusader.

Since the game is modular, in theory one could make their own plane module and offer it up for sale.

I don't know how, but I might have enough friends to bootstrap it.

But which version to get stupid detailed about?  The most numerous version?

218 F8U-1 were made, redesignated to F-8A in 1962.
130 F8U-1E were made, redesignated to F-8B in 1962.  63 were rebuilt into F-8L
187 F8U-2 were made, redesignated to F-8C in 1962.  87 were rebuilt into F-8K.
152 F8U-2N were made, redesignated to F-8D in 1962.  89 were rebuilt into F-8H.
286 F8U-2NE were made, redesignated to F-8E in 1962.  136 were rebuilt into F-8J.

I think the F-8E is the winner here.  Bigger radar than earlier version, more air-to-ground capability thanks to the wing pylons, approach power compensator to make landing easier...

The "big" question is whether to make it the post-66 Project SHOEHORN model with the AN/ALQ-51 ECM and AN/ALE-29 chaff dispensers.  Lose some cannon ammo though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.