09 March 2019

Yet More On Stellite

And a admonition to myself about making assumptions.

It would have been simple to check, and in fact it was simple to check, once I doubted my assumptions on what "Stellite lined" meant.

The Stellite liner on a US machinegun is the chamber and part of the barrel, not the entire barrel.

It's main purpose is to prevent throat erosion.  That's a bigger concern with machine guns than rifles because of the sustained rate of fire.

Stellite is tough stuff.  So tough that there's a procedure for recovering the Stellite liner from shot out barrels for recycling into new barrels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.