26 November 2020

Why I Made My .40 S&W House Rule

In the rules as written, ball 9mm does 2d+2 pi, .40 S&W does 2d+2 pi+ and .45 ACP does 2d pi+.

That gives average damages, to an unarmored torso, of 9, 13, and 10.

Hollow points average 12, 16 and 12.

The thing is, .40 S&W is not 25% better than 9mm or .45 ACP.  If it were, we wouldn't be seeing a shift in law enforcement away from .40 back to 9mm.

My house rule was to change the damage of .40 S&W from 2d+2 pi+ to 2d pi+.

I'm not the first person who noticed the disparity in damage with the rules as written.  Some people took the tack I've taken and changed the damage.  Others left it alone and justified the additional damage on the basis that .40 S&W is a TL8 round and 9mm and .45 are TL6.

To me the higher TL gives the smaller and lighter ammo rather than more damage.  More shots, same damage as .45, lighter magazines.

I came to this conclusion because, despite being TL8, .45 GAP has the exact same stats as TL6 .45 ACP.  It's lighter per shot and smaller; just like .40 S&W.

The good news is it has yet to come up in any game I've run.  There are only two fully statted .40 pistols in the entire rule set, the rest of them are mentioned in the weapon descriptions of 9mm guns.

The players tend to not buy guns from the descriptions and stick to the weapons tables.

2 comments:

  1. Are all/any shots on target? The rest..... YMMV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not many/any...

      GURPS 4e is harsh. .40 S&W and .45 ACP have rcl 3, which means you have to make it by six for all three rounds to hit in a turn.

      9x19mm Parabellum's rcl 2 means you only need to make it by four.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.