28 July 2026

Anomaly

I'm still wrestling with Gun Stats and round nose bullets.

.30 M1903 uses a 220gr, 1.308" long bullet fired at 2,300 fps.

.30 M1906 uses a 152gr, 1.123" long bullet fired at 2,700 fps.

1903's ranges are 1,240/5,200.

1906's ranges are 890/3,700.

Longer bullets do tend to hold velocity better and, thus, go farther.

The advantage of the lighter, faster, spitzer rounds was supposed to be the flatter trajectory no extended range.  This should show in the Accuracy column.

But it doesn't because of the length to diameter ratio of the longer bullet getting a +1 and the relative velocities being in the same bracket. 

.30-06 does have a lower ST and Recoil with 9 and 3 versus 10 and 4, making it easier to shoot.

I don't think, as a whole, this passes the reality test. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.