30 July 2026

Ratioed

Did some math.

Being a long term hot-rodder it bothers me that the rear gear ratio in The Beast starts with a 2.

2.92:1 to be exact.

I think this bothers me because I had 2.56 gears in my '79 Camaro when I got it and they did not play well with the 305 small block and TH350.

The final ratios were 6.45/3.89/2.56.

It got better when I dropped a 350 small block and found a 2.73 posi rear.

6.88/4.15/2.73.

And a bit perkier with the Jaguar rear's 2.88.

7.26/4.38/2.88.

The Biscayne SS, with a 5.7L LT1 and 4L60E and 3.08 gears got:

9.42/5.02/3.08/2.14

The first gear ratio was like having 3.73 gears in the Camaro, but better than the 2.56 for cruising.  Everybody wins! 

The Beast's final ratios are:

 11.76/6.90/4.44/3.36/2.49/1.95

That's like having a 3.73 rear in the Biscayne or a 4.56 rear in the Camaro for the launch, plus extra gears for mileage.  70 mph highway rpms would be about 2,400 in the Biscayne and 4,200 in the Camaro versus 1,700 in the PPV.

A common mod for a PPV is to go with a 3.27 rear from a 5th Gen Camaro, it's stronger too.

Those ratios end up being:

13.17/7.73/4.98/3.77/2.79/2.18

To match that launch gear the Camaro would have needed 5.38 gears and would "cruise" at almost 4,600 rpm at 70.  Yikes!

The Biscayne would need a 4.56 gear set.  Cruise rpm would be just over 2,700.

The PPV would cruise at just about 1,900.

I kinda dig these new transmissions.  Plus, it doesn't seem like many people are complaining about the 6L80's strength. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.