20 July 2026

I Will Say It Again

I don't mind immigrants.

An immigrant is someone who has decided to move to a different nation and become a citizen of that nation.

They adopt that nation's language and culture.

They change from a them to an us.

The thing I rail against is not immigration.

While it might not rise to the level of colonization, we do have enclaves of foreigners who have no intention of adopting our language or culture.

Most of these people have not entered the nation legally, and there's a significant number of people who entered legally but did not return home once their visa expired.

But adoption of culture and language is important.

Hell, I'm even willing to compromise on the language part if they're doing our culture well enough.

That I have to make this post is an indication that people who hate America have managed to shift the language so that immigrant doesn't mean what I've indicated, but anyone who's managed to cross the border.

The best you can call a small number of them is "expat."  But expats enter legally and keep a low profile. 

2 comments:

  1. As an immigrant myself, I would not compromise on language. My parents took special care to learn English. My mother actually took night classes to become more proficient. They'll never be rid of their accents (they came to the US too late for that) but they speak and read as well as any native speaker.

    Culturally, we all adopted to American norms, American morality and American traditions. We understand that a big part of the reason we left the country of our birth is that all those things were worse there than here. We do not wish to participate in turning America into the place we left.

    Thanks,

    Daosus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I make the exception is knowing a lot of Cubans who were born to be Americans, but were actually spawned in Cuba. They ache to go back though.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.