I am starting to see a divide in the YouTube pundits over Christopher Nolan's Odyssey.
They either love it or hate it.
I think I spotted the why of it.
It's the same as when Paul Verhoeven did Starship Troopers.
Some people loved it.
Some people hated it.
There's no middle ground.
So I asked the people who loved it, "Why?"
They loved it because it's a funny, sci-fi action movie.
"What about all the changes from the book?"
"Book? What book?"
And there's your divide.
The people who hated Starship Troopers wanted to see the book, not an unrelated property with character names from the book.
I'm willing to bet that the people who don't like Nolan's Odyssey are in the same camp.
They wanted Homer's epic, verbatim.
PS: John Leguizamo is an epic hypocrite! John, if you're going to whine about Anglos in Hispanic roles, you shouldn't take on roles where you're not playing an Hispanic character. Or roles where the character is significantly older than you, what about all the genuinely elderly actors who need the work, John?
Having read good translations of both the Illiad and the Odyssey, and being a history nut, I want a good version of the story, with all the characters, with all the costuming, sets and especially the armor pretty correct, as correct as financially reasonable. And follow the damn book for conversations. Maybe freshen them up for 'modern' audiences rather than using classical English translations. But do it right.
ReplyDeleteThe mini-series starring Armand Asante, shown on the ScyFy network, was pretty darn good. Not perfect, but not glaringly horrid and modern.
Doing castings in order to get an Oscar nomination (that being having DEI/EEOC versions of traditionally white characters) is not the way to endear the knowing audience to the movie.
I remember that adaptation! I thought that Mr Asante did a great job!
DeleteThe 1997 version is available on Prime for nothin' if you've a Prime membership.
Delete