One of the things you get with being a 100% service connected veteran in Florida is a property tax bill of $0.
$1 property? $0 property taxes.
$500 million property? $0 property taxes.
Apparently they will be most affected by the referendum on increasing the homestead exemption.
How?
Increased ad valorem.
Increased ad valorem that everyone will have to pay if the local politicians don't get the message about reducing their bloated budgets.
It's a scare tactic to get us to vote against our own interests in favor of these "poor" veterans.
Oh, a married 100% vet gets $4,158.17 a month ($49,898.04 a year tax free) for their service too. So Mr Young complaining about ad valorem going from $2,000 a year to $4,000 a year can cover it with a single month's check. Or he can space it out and hold $333.33 a month until tax time.
If he's living on that disability check exclusively, he shouldn't be living in a city with $2k ad valorem. I'm willing to bet that he and his wife have jobs and are making decent money and this is just a "I don't wanna spend an extra $167 a month to cover the services of the municipality I've chosen to live in." For example, the total taxes on the inlaws house, where we get no tax breaks, is less than the ad valorem Mr Young claims he's paying.
The average home value in Loxahatchee, according to Zillow, is about $860k. Mr Young is already skipping out on approximately $10k in property taxes every year, but having to pay an extra $2k is going to break him?
I am, myself, a disabled veteran, but I am growing ever sicker of listening to people who are less fucked up than me with a much higher rating complaining about the benefits they're getting. They're the kind of people who say, "You're welcome for my service," unironically.
In the process of trying to find out how much Mr Young is being assessed, I discovered that I should be taking an additional $5k off my home's assessed value because of my own disability rating.
PS: There are approximately 60,000 100% veterans in Florida. That's 0.2% of the population. Yes, let's design our entire tax policy around this teeny constituency.
No comments:
Post a Comment
You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.
Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.
If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.
If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.