It turns out I did more about 155mm shells than General Dynamics did last week, and I didn't spend $500 million to do it.
Ooops!
Though it appears that GDOT did a, "we think this might work, but we won't know until we try to actually do it," deal by using older machinery to make newer rounds.
Well, we now know that the machines that made M107 rounds don't make M795 rounds.
Reading between the lines, to me, it seems that they're getting a handle on it, but the worst case scenario played out.
So they spent a crap ton of taxpayer money to discover that they couldn't make old equipment so something new... I'll bet you a dollar to a stale donut they didn't let the rednecks try. I know a few good old boys. They'll do some stuff that ain't exactly kosher or safe but they can do a lot more than the government fellows can. Now some of them have died doing that shady shit, but they weren't scared to try. They should've let Bubba n Billy have a crack at it. Might've saved some money discovering that it won't work...
ReplyDeleteA 40 mm grenade launcher is an easy buy. The ammo is not available. There are redneck engineers that can make them so I am told.
ReplyDeleteI have, occasionally, thought about getting an M203 to add to one of the retro guns. Then I remember that even the training chalk rounds are getting hard to get because ATF changed the rules on explosives and that 40mm is a black powder round in the high-pressure section of the case. Black powder is an explosive and requires special hazmat compared to normal ammo.
Delete