18 June 2018

Getting Fed Up

A new development in the curse of the Corvette.

The HVAC cut out a couple of times returning home from taking The Boy to school.

Checking the fuse, I discovered you could get the power to flicker to the controller by wiggling the fuse.

This makes me think I have a bad fuse holder.

No biggie, fuse holders and boxes are normally relatively easy and cheap.

GM: "Hold my beer!"

The fuse box is integral to the body control module (BCM)!  The fuse holders are sealed into the plastic case of the BCM.

Bad fuse holder, replace entire unit!

WHAT!
THE!
ACTUAL!
FUCK?!?

Now I'm staring at buying a BCM and hoping my buddy's programmer can calibrate it.

They're $100 used and $250 new.  I dislike the idea of buying a salvaged one because who knows if it's messed up in some subtle way, and what's a warranty?

If this was a normal fuse block, I could just buy a fuse holder and fix it!

I am loathe to break the thing open to get at the fuse holders without a spare standing by.

I am sick of careening from from unplanned expenditure to unplanned expenditure.  I'm tapped out for a few months and staring at an intermittent AC problem entering summer in Florida.  Joy.

Hitting the tip jar now would really help me stop whining.

5 comments:

  1. Is there any way to run a jumper around the stupid $250 module just for the wire for the AC and put a regular fuse holder and fuse on the jumper, at least for now? Should run you no more than $20 if you're going marine grade hardware.

    I know, looks like crap, but I had to do the same thing with my old Chrysler Imperial when I couldn't get parts for that ugly piece of dog-squeeze (but she kept running long enough for me to sell her for parts, which was more than I paid for her running, so...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fuse that's giving problems is the B+ lead and there's a connection downstream of the fuse that disappears into the BCM... Bypassing the BCM might not help the problem despite having 12v at the HVAC module.

      Delete
    2. Man, that blows. As bad as my old GMC Safari that was half metric/half English fasteners. Total biyotch to work on.

      Delete
  2. I know just how you feel about unplanned expenditures. I've had to explain to my brother and his family that a lot of my snappishness isn't because I'm mad at them per se...it's more just from the stress of spending the last 35 or so years dancing on a razor's edge.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.