18 June 2018

WHY?

I'm updating some apps on my phone and get a message that Google Pay needs access to my contacts as part of the upgrade.

Why?

I mean, no shit, WHY!?!  At no point in any financial transaction between me and whomever should whom I know be a factor.

I'm getting very sick of "this app needs access to..." without any explanation of why it needs that access.

I know that privacy is effectively dead... and it's shit like this what killed it.

Unless they tell you what they're using the access for, you can't make an informed decision about allowing them access.  My default is, "No!"

One gets the feeling that they don't want to define what they're doing with the access, so when they're caught being deeper into it than promised they can't be held to any sort of liability standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.