14 June 2018

Making You Go Hmmmmm

Willard and I disagree with how to set the gas system on the FAL.

He says to crank the thing closed and let 'er run max-gas.

It worked for him in the field.

Being an overeducated, intellectual STEM type...

I follow the instructions.  Which are essentially set it two clicks more closed than where it will lock to the rear on an empty magazine.

It worked for me in the field.

With Magtech NATO spec ammo, that was "5.5".

"5.5" won't cycle with ZQ1 "NATO" spec ammo.

So it got cranked down to "4".

Then we did the NATO rifle challenge with Malaysian M59 ball.

My beloved seemed to be hitting me harder than I'd grown accustomed to.  Thumping harder than the PTR G3A3 clone, which was the opposite of my prior experience.

Today I realized something.  I'd swapped out the Austrian gas plug for an FN plug with grenade sight.

Small differences in those plugs could change how much gas is getting to the regulator and thus to the piston.

Time to hit the range!

Awwww, gee darn, an excuse to go to the range?

2 comments:

  1. Actually, Willard says "crank the thing closed - and then back off one click". Which worked for him, and whole companies of infantry, in two wars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're saying that it's still in the experimental stages?

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.