04 June 2019

Auction Fever

My strategy on Ebay and Gunbroker is to bid the most I would ever pay (or can afford at the moment) and let it ride.

I miss out on a lot of things I want this way because auction fever grabs the other bidders and drives the price through the ceiling.

I learned about auction fever at a bankruptcy auction of a small gun shop in Iowa where two bidders blood got up and they bid a bone-stock, plain-Jane Ruger 10/22 up to $500... In 1993.  They just couldn't let the other guy "win" despite paying five times the going rate for the gun at the time.

I experienced the fever when I bought The Biscayne at a police auction.

I was there to buy an ex-Iowa State Patrol Caprice 9C1 because I wanted a 350 not a 305.  I bid on several and sensibly quit as the price slipped past what I had in my account.

There's banks at those auctions with kiosks describing their easy loan terms...

As the day wore on I got increasingly desperate to take something home.

So I bid up the Caprice Classic to about 50% over what I could have bought it for from a used car lot and took out a loan for what I didn't have in my pocket.

This adventure also taught me that I wasn't grown-up enough yet to handle the responsibility of loans and the requisite payments.  But that's another story.

1 comment:

  1. If you are not already using it, go get an e-snipe account. I put in my max bid and tell it to launch at 1 second before closing time.

    It ups the chances of getting what you want (if none of the other bidders is in blood heat or using the same mechanism with a sooner bid trigger). It also removes temptation, once you set it, forget about it until it reports you have been outbid (ignore) or announces you won.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.