07 June 2019

Period Correctness

My curio and relic interest is along the lines of recreating a snapshot of the old gun in use in a way that I find useful as well.

That's why I want aperture sights instead of buckhorns.

Here's an interesting pdf pitching why you'd want one.

The quest to sight the Savage 99EG is... lengthy.

Despite being the third most popular lever action hunting rifle in America and made for decades...  It's a distant third compared to number two, the Marlin.

That means accessories are out there, but can be difficult to suss out.

If it were me in 1951, I'd have bought the 99RS because it came with the #70LH sight.

But...  That's a pretty high end gun.  The budget, and lion's share of 99's made, is the EG.  If you were on a budget, wanted a new gun, and aperture sights you bought the EG and went in for a Lyman No. 1 or No. 2 tang sight.

This is where we are heading.

Why not get a No. 30-1/2?  Because they start at $200 and end at $500 when bidding commences.

Eventually my Sportified Krag will be growing an aperture sight as well.  A Lyman No. 57 K, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.