27 June 2019

Might Need A Front Sight Too

The Krag already shot a bit high...  4" high at 25 yards.  For a 100 or 200 yard zero it should be pretty close to the point of aim at 25.  0.53" low with a 100 yard zero and 0.18" high with a 200 yard zero.

This is a 525 yard zero according to my Nikon Spot-On app.  I have no intention of shooting that far.

The new rear sight will be higher than the buckhorn it's intended to replace.  That will make the bullets impact even higher...

I already need about a 0.011" taller sight to get a 100 yard zero.

The front sight base has a standard 0.375" dovetail.

It's 0.520" from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the blade.

It's 0.243" wide and 0.832" on top of the shelf.

The blade itself it pinned to the front sight, making this a three-piece sight.

The blade is 0.0625" wide and is 0.375" ish... tall.

The hunt is on!

Well, it will be once I get the new sight on the back end and see what this does to the impact point.

If I did the math right, I need a 0.750" tall front sight to get a zero that hits 0.53" low at 25 yards for a 100 yard zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.