31 July 2024

Life Is Just A Fantasy

I came up with a solid one-shot fantasy scenario the last time I was in Iowa.

One of the player's utter inability to get past a simple security measure at the city gates derailed the entire thing, so it never got played to completion.

That means I can still use it!

When FuzzyGeff next visits, I could dump him into it again with JT and Marv!

I've had fantasy on the mind lately with the new edition of AD&D coming out and the many gamer youtubers talking about it.

Not that I'm getting a new version of AD&D to play a fantasy setting.

I'm invested in GURPS and I'll stick with it.

Something I really like to do, if I had time and sufficient players, is to run the full ATDGQ series of modules from AD&D with GURPS.

They'd start at T1 - The Village of Hommlet with 150 point characters and we'd go from there and see if they survive to Q1 - Queen of the Demonweb Pits.

The whole series is;

T1 - The Village of Hommlet
T2 - Nulb and the Ruins
T3 - Dungeons of Elemental Evil
T4 - Nodes of Elemental Evil
A0 - Danger at Darkshelf Quarry
A1 - Slave Pits of the Undercity
A2 - Secret of the Slavers' Stockade
A3 - Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords
A4 - In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords
G1 - Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
G2 - The Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
G3 - Hall of the Fire Giant King
D1 - Descent Into the Depths of the Earth
D2 - Shrine of the Kuo-Toa
D3 - Vault of the Drow
Q1 - Queen of the Demonweb Pits

UPDATE: Order fixed based on Wikipedia information that I looked up because Beans caught them out of order.

Since GURPS is capable of handling all the standard Fantasy tropes, I'd only have to make a couple of monsters and, maybe, translate a spell or three.  Simple.

Simpler than converting Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.  WFRP doesn't really need translating.  It just needs stats for some monsters and let the rules changes be changed and don't chase parity of effect with them.  Remember, you're changing rule systems for a reason!

2 comments:

  1. Erm... D1,2,3 happen after the Giant series and before Q1. Access to the Underworld is through a passage in G3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I actually get to play, I will put them in order.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.