16 September 2026

00 Buck Anomaly

By-The-Basic-Book and High Tech, a 2-3/4" 12ga 00 Buck round flings 9 round lead balls doing 1d+1 pi each out to 40/800.

Looking up a typical loading I get 9 lead balls at 1,325 feet per second and Gun Stats calculating a "shotshell" gets 1d pi each out to 40/800.

So far so good, just a little less damage.

Fire a single .33 caliber ball at 1,325 fps from a smoothbore and you get 2d pi out to 60/700.

Oops.

The calculation for the single ball is closer to what the magazines writing about shotguns says about performance because they equated .36 cap and ball pistols to 000 Buck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.