10 September 2026

Poised

Digging into the, what seems to be excessive, draw of The Beast's electrical system.

It appears to have been a decision on the part of Holden or GM engineers that the body control module never quite goes to sleep.

It stays more awake than the Australian version of the car to make sure that essential police equipment gets a trickle of power and to decide how much.

This amounts to about 0.4 amps.  Which is a lot for a car that's shut off.

The "problem" area is the extra fuse box under the driver's kick-panel.  This is where the fuses for all the Americanizations live.

But, the GM engineers reason, cop cars are constantly in use, the extra draw just won't come up!

And knowing about the draw being normal means I need to start the damn thing at least once a week when the battery is connected or keep a charger on it.

PS: Don't feel too smug about your own car shutting further down than mine, OnStar is calling home every few hours and transmitting.  The dear, departed, Precious would drain the battery sitting idle too. 

1 comment:

  1. I figured out why the Sikverado was having battery issues (I think).
    It has to do with the CD eject cycling on it's own trying to eject a nonexistent CD. That CD eject problem is a Chevy thing....

    So I just put in an old CD and haven't had any problems since.

    Also, a NOCO jump starter is handy and will start anything (except an LS tractor) with a battery that's not completely dead.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.