06 September 2026

However

If someone is so mentally off center that they're a danger to others, they need to be kept from others.

Not guilty by reason of insanity should lead to a mental hospital.

The stay to be governed by how long it takes them to regain sanity and if they never do, then they stay forever.

An insanity plea shouldn't be a means to escape all the consequences of their actions.

Arguably, a successful insanity defense should yield a worse "punishment" than prison because release is predicated on showing they have, fully, recovered from their psychosis and are safe to be among the rest of us.  That predication makes the sentence open ended and indefinite.

I'm open to the argument that any mental illness that leads to a homicide should end in euthanasia.  I can also see how dangerous that idea is, so I'm not advocating for it.

We've a mental health problem in the US.  We dismantled a working system in the Reagan era, rightfully in too many cases, and did nothing to replace it.

Solid, compassionate, institutions caring for the mentally ill were closed with the callous and abusive.  Thanks Sixty Minutes!

It does need fixed, but who do you trust to do it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.