29 December 2016

Should I Have Just Bought The SCAR-16?

Something to keep you honest about your low-cost AR.

Make a spreadsheet and list EVERYTHING you've added to the gun.

It's actually an accounting ledger.

Count the things that are present, subtract the things that aren't.

That $400 AR kit and $50 lower sure balloon fast when you start upgrading parts.

People forget that all that Magpul furniture they added later made the gun more expensive.  Mirroring the selector?  Extra cost.  Finger-tip strong hand bolt release?  Extra cost.

It adds up.  Don't forget shipping and FFL fees!  I tend to skip things like optics though...

Since a SCAR 16 is MSRP of $2,995 and can be found on Gunbroker for $2,600 buy it now, even my most expensive AR, Sabrina, at $1,355.08 doesn't touch it, but that one is more expensive by design because of all the collector-expensive vintage parts.



Next most expensive is Dottie at $1,230.53, but she's in 6.8, so not really a good comparison.  Add $326 for the optic and $200 for the light.



Kaylee is the closest equivalent to a SCAR 16 here.  Just $1,159.66 and that includes a $200 tax-stamp.  I could make Kaylee twice for what a SCAR would have run me.  Even adding $736 for the optic and $200 for the light I'm still ahead because I would have bought them for a SCAR as well.



But Kaylee is not the $675.37 carbine I first bought either.  It also took me nearly 10 years of tinkering, swapping, trading and research to add about $500 to her.

1 comment:

  1. My ARs are mostly pretty spartan because for the most part I like the basic hardware. I'll have to add it all up but I'd doubt I've got more than a grand in any of them.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.