22 April 2017

Shootin' Faster And Risking Rebuttal

Lacking the vast and unlimited financial resources (insert laugh track) of professional gun writers to expend ammunition and attend gun schools, I am left to read about others experiences and to attempt to figure things out on my own.

What I've noticed is smooth IS fast.  But it's not the same smooth as a slow fire carefully aimed shot.

For the careful shot, I have time to see that a muscle or digit is slightly out of place and correct for it during the squeeze.  Shooting faster, there's not time to correct even if you do notice.

But I have noticed in doing a LOT of dry firing that am getting better at not having those things out of place and that it is habit forming.  Good habits.  It's improved my accuracy a great deal, especially with the J-Frame.

So far this aligns with my shotokan sensei and his admonition, "first form, then speed, then power."

Smooth is the form.  If you cannot shoot smooth when shooting slow, you're not going to smooth up shooting fast.

As a Drill Sargent once put it, "This is basic fucking.  Stick it in, pull it out, repeat.  Later we'll talk about fancy stuff like licking and squeezing, but for now:  in out repeat."

Wise in his crude way, he knew you had to start somewhere.

Shooting well, slowly proves that you can shoot and hit the target.  Now that you know you can do it, try going a little faster.

But going faster...  Do all that smooth stuff, good; now, where did those sights go?  Oh, there they are!  Line them back up with each other, NO!  Line them up on the target!  WHAT'S TAKING ME SO LONG?

Absorbing the recoil while trying to get the gun back on target is completely and totally different from absorbing the recoil then putting the gun back on target.  A different set of muscle memory needs developed and this is where the shooting departs from the karate model.

Now we're riding a bicycle.

In your own words, take as much time as you need and as many pages as required:  Describe all of the steps you took to learn how to ride a bike.  Please be detailed, this is for ANSI compliance.

Not, "here's how to ride a bike" but "here's how you learn to ride a bike."

Will reading every step actually help much before you're up on two wheels trying not to fall?

You can use a similar analogy with swimming.  You don't know a lot until you're getting wet.

I found that upping my speed corresponded well with my learning to ride a bike.  I failed at lot then suddenly something went click and I was doing it!  Then I changed guns and couldn't do it any more.  There's something to be said about specializing.

Having said that, I've noticed that shooting a variety of guns has greatly improved my shooting overall.  With an unfamiliar gun I've often noticed bad habits accentuated then seen they're present on a familiar gun, but smaller in scope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.