24 January 2020

Holster Drama

I wandered over to Tam's to see what she's up to.

She's fisking Aesop over his affection to the drop-leg holster, especially for in the car.

The topic of IWB holsters and pinching and binding came up.

Dude.

NEVER tell someone who wears a bra about pinching and binding being something that's never acceptable.

I'm reliably informed there's just not any form of carry that's less comfortable than a bra.

But...

For the car.

I think I agree that a drop leg is going to slam my elbow into the seat back with the gun half drawn.  I'd like to add that something hanging on my leg and hitting the center console would get old fast.  Plus, it's open carry and not suitable for Florida at this time.

I don't IWB on the strong side because Chevy didn't leave room for anything between my ass and the center console but the seatbelt latch.

I don't appendix carry because my gut is a massive retention device.  I really should fix that.

I do carry in a shoulder holster when it's cool enough to do so.  Florida's heat limits when you can get away with wearing enough to cover such a rig.

I have a brilliant IWB cross draw holster that I carry from time to time.  The good belt that held it well died and I simply haven't replaced it.  This is fine with a t-shirt in full Florida summer and for some damn reason Chevy left lots of room for a gun between my ass and the door's arm-rest.

I pocket carry (in a pocket holster) in the summer a lot too.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Angus;

    I remembered the DAT's and the rotorheads used shoulder holsters because the regular hip holster wasn't practical when riding in a tank, track or helicopters. The same would work for a car. I also have seen people when I was in buy lower leg holsters because the regular hip holsters didn't work well because it is an awkward angle to draw from in an emergency. Depending on vehicle type a lower leg holster ain't a bad thing especially if you use a vehicle like a truck with a bench seat. Holsters are tools, and you move them around to suit your needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aesop is really good at using thirty words where three will do, so what he means is often difficult to suss out.

      The plain meaning of what he says is often not the actual meaning of what he said, and he waits for someone to confront his plain meaning so he can ambush them for it.

      Tam is in the ambush, but isn't vulnerable to the attack.

      Delete
  2. When seated in the confines of a vehicle, nothing I have found is faster to access a handgun than a 'Tanker' style of shoulder holster. Being able to acquire a quick way to aim it is another matter altogether, but that is also the case with any other style of holster. I know the tanker is extremely exposed to view.

    jrg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd wear my tanker holster if we had open carry. It was reasonable fast, comfortable enough for all-day wear and had excellent retention.

      Apparently, tanker rigs are also called Alaskan rigs now too.

      Delete
    2. That name makes sense, I've seen pictures of Alaskan fishermen with these on. Easier than carry than a slung rifle or slug gun when casting in trout streams.

      jrg

      Delete
    3. Oh, Aesop, you gun-LARPer, you!

      Seriously, chest rigs and shoulder rigs are probably the most comfortable for drivers. Unless you're a twig who wears a gun-burka, of course...

      As to Aesop, well, mayhaps if people in California fought like the people of Virginia are fighting, California wouldn't be Califrutopiastan. And he does love listening to his own words. And once he gets stuck on an idea, no amount of rebuttal or C4 will lodge him from his entrenched position. Though he is the only one really collecting all the Ebola data out there.

      Delete
    4. That was supposed to be 'Oh, Angus, you gun-LARPer, you!'

      Dangit. Got too clever for myself. Must go hide in room of shame.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.