08 January 2020

Moar Door

Now our back patio has a door!

It keeps out Marvyns.
 It keeps in Dingus'!

This is another "much harder than it should have been" job.

It's entirely to blame on the standard door size not actually being standard.

My door is a nominal 36" wide, 81" tall.

One standard defines that as 35-7/8" to 36" openings.

Another defines that as 35-1/2" to 36-1/4".

My opening is 35-5/8"

Lowe's does not carry doors for my opening.  Home Depot does.

Go figure.

Bought a different door from Home Depot because the Lowe's model didn't fit my opening.

Very frustrating and time consuming thing.  It's printed on the boxes, in small print that need the reading portion of my glasses to see, and positioned so I can't really get my neck bent that far.

Easy to miss unless you're aware of the issue and are looking for it.

4 comments:

  1. Nothing is ever simple in home repair. And, unfortunately, it seems to be easier to find information in Espanol than in English. Madre me Dios!

    Doors (this and the last one you posted) look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long long ago at a ranch far far away :^), my Brother and I had to replace a door which had been installed which enclosed a formerly open porch to become an extra room. The head height of the porch framing made this a custom proposition. The door height was approximately 6'-3", it being a solid core wood door cut to fit. After many years, vermin had chewed the bottom enough to create a path into the structure.

    We created our own door, using pressure treated 1 x 4 perimeter and center framing and plywood cut to shape. It worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - I just posted a comment about a porch door without signing it. My apologies for the omission - please sign me JRG.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.