13 January 2020

Research

If you leave your Husqvarna m/07 in an unsealed plastic "ammo can", in its holster, outside in Florida humidity...

You get a rusted Husqvarna m/07.

Dammit!

The guilty party has been chastised for their actions.

So I am doing the research to find out how to detail disassemble it and conserve it.

C&Rsenal's sub-channel Anvil is guiding the way.

It looks like, once you get it apart, you wire brush off the big chunks of rust, boil all the oils out of the part, hang it in a steam bath to convert the remaining rust from one kind of iron oxide to another, coat in a rust bluing solution, put it in a hot swamp box, steam bath again then take a carding wheel to it.

Simple!

It looks straight forward enough.

I'm going to give it a try.

3 comments:

  1. Holy crap, I was just watching them doing the rust blue thing this morning. My latest obsession is restoring old, Damascus barreled shotguns...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you neutralize it after the last carding so it doesn't continue to rust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moly be damned! What a shame. I had an old neighbor one time who, when he found out I was a gunny, decided to show me his old Parker shotgun. It was in a leather gun case, and the cloth lining had stuck to `the metal from the rust. He about had a heart attack. I never asked him about it again.
    I didn't know what a Husky 07 was. Googled it,and took one look, and thought, that's a Browning design. Sure enough. I have a Savage M 07 in 7.65 Browning, AKA32 auto. Pretty good shape 'cept for the missing front sight. For a piece like that, one doesn't really need one.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.