23 October 2022

Alternate .22

Because I has very upset with Bill Ruger, both senior and junior, for a very long time I tended to avoid Ruger products.

That did not keep me from shooting rimfire!

 

The rifle is a 1938 made Remington 341A Sportsmaster that my grandfather on Mom's side bought new.

He was a hired farm-hand and got extra money shooting rats in corn cribs and silos in Missouri and Iowa.  It's one of three guns he left me when he died.

The damn thing is still a tack driver and will shoot .22 Short, .22 Long and .22 Long Rifle.

25 yards with all 15 rounds of .22LR!

I've talked about the Challenger recently, and I prefer it to the Ruger Standard by a wide margin.

But the Ruger Standard / Mark series is the gun to beat when you're making a .22 pistol, and the Colt was driven out of production by it!  Several objectively better guns were, in fact.

5 comments:

  1. That 341 looked like it might have evolved into the Remington 500 series. I have a Rem 510 (bolt action single shot) that shoots real nice. Even better, you can shoot any .22 up to and including LR (but not Magnum.) Killed many a racoon with it one summer, a very enjoyable summer of fighting back the demon hordes of trash pandas with .22Shorts (soas not to disturb the hippie neighbors who caused the issue with the trash pandas by feeding the bastids.)

    Did not have the 10/22 at the time, else I would have been forced to use .22LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a 22 of any sort, and probably should get one. It's likely if I do it will be a single-shot bolt action, which I've always loved for the absolute simplicity of the concept. All the US gun companies made them, and they can still be had at sub-$200 prices, many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes deceived me above. That Remington 341A Sportsmaster strongly resembles a Marlin 81 that was my own 1st gun. Nothing fancy but it shoots like a house afire too. Not a lightweight rifle by any means, it has a lot of stored memories for me.

    jrg

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 22 rifle is an old single shot Savage that my grandfather had, who then passes it to my dad, who then it passed it to me. 100 years old and still going strong. -JKing

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry, correction on my previous comment. that Savage is 92 years old, so not quite quite 100. -JKing

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.