21 March 2012

Causing Problems

At the range the other day I noticed something.

My Springfield GI model has been running flawlessly.  I'm quite pleased with it.

The guy in the next lane was not having any fun with his Kimber.

I offered to help and we took it apart to see if there was anything obviously wrong.

There wasn't but I was struck with how different the innards looked between our guns.

Mine has tooling marks galore; his was perfectly smooth on every machined surface.

I've noticed this before.  In the Army the Remington-Rand guns were always rougher inside than the Colts (not that there were many Colt M1911A1 left in 1987).

I am now wondering that in the quest to make it pretty if they're ignoring critical dimensions.

1 comment:

  1. My HS shop teacher had a favorite story in which the Brits (Rolls, to be precise) bought automatic transmissions (Powerglides) from GM, took one apart and noticed all of the rough surfaces. They machined them to bright shiny finishes and put the transmission back together...and it didn't work.

    Dunno about critical dimensions, but some parts just need to wear in together to work right.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.