25 May 2020

For The Fallen

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children, England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,

To the end, to the end, they remain.

-- Laurence Binyon

Today is not about sales. It is not about summer starting. It is not about grandma.

It's is about those who served and have passed beyond the vale.

I want them all back.

To:
Bernie Canniff (Korea, in a car club together).
Carol LeFon aka Neptunus Lex (patiently explained both real world and flight sim military aviation to this tanker).
Davy McGuire (COB USS Whale, originally a friend of my Dad's, later me).
Fred Gabow (we served together, his wife hired someone to murder him).
Jerry Pournelle (you do read, don't you? Willing to be wrong and listened to my correction!).
Kevin O'Brian aka Hognose (our beloved Weaponsman).
Rabbi (Uncle Ben, another friend of Dad who got me a ride in an F-14A).
Rich Sickels (brother of my Father in law).
Robert Smith (uncle by marriage to Mom's sister).
Standing Bear aka William Dawkins (WW2 and Korea, who taught me gaming).

The world is better that you were in it and worse that you have left.

3 comments:

  1. I drink beer ( or eight) for my good friend Danny. He was my turret gunner. A good thing and a bad thing about the Guard is generally you fight with guys you've known forever. And that means if they but it you've known them forever too.

    But hell. He died on the bounce and doing his job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get misty whenever I hear or read that poem.

    And I want my dad (WWII, US Army Signal Corps, CBI) and Uncle Viron (US Army Air Corps, ETO, later on USAF) back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandfather, Lloyd Heins, Army, WWI, ambulance driver, Flanders area, Belgium & France.
    My uncle Sterling Heins, WWII, Army, Radio Operator, Philippines & Okinowa.
    My uncle John Heer, WWII, Army, Infantry, Battle of the Bulge, Germany.
    My mom's uncle Ray Scribner, WWII, Army, Infantry, Battle of the Bulge, Italy.
    My uncle Danny, Viet Nam era, Navy, Sea Bees, Cook, San Diego, Puerto Rico.
    My friend Colonel Richard McTagert, Army, WWII, Korea & Afganistan.
    My friend Standing Bear as mentioned by Angus above.
    All the others, we owe you a debt of gratitude.

    May they all Rest In Peace. They served so that many my age didn't have to. I honestly believe that if it were not for the sacrifices of the veterans who served between WWI and the Cold War that we would have gone through WWIII during our lifetimes and many millions of us wouldn't be here today.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.