17 May 2020

Personal Photography

For no apparent reason I started to compare all of the digital cameras I've owned over the years.

The first digital camera I ever took a picture with was a Sony Mavica FD-71.  It used a standard 3.5 floppy for storage.  It had less than a megapixel worth of sensor.

The first digital camera I ever owned was a Kodak DC3200.  Big ass, but laughably small capacity by today's standards, compact flash card and 1.0 megapixels.  5.4mm fixed focal length and crop factor of 7.22.

My mom bought a 4mp thing, first SD card in the bunch, that I inherited with the rest of her photography stuff.  Casio QV-R40.  It had a 3x optical zoom that would get a 35mm equivalent of 39 to 117mm with a 4.88 crop factor from an 8-24mm focal length!

The first camera I actually bought and paid for was my dear departed Canon S5 IS.  12x optical zoom going from 6 to 72mm focal, cropped by 6 to be equivalent to 36 to 432mm.  It rocked a gigantic 8mp sensor that could be almost completely occluded by a .22LR round.

When I broke that camera...

I upgraded to a Canon SX20 IS.  12mp, slightly larger sensor, 20x optical zoom!  5-100mm focal squeezed through a 5.6 crop factor to an equivalence of 28-560mm.

These first two Canons introduced me to filters.  The S5 took pictures of The Great American Eclipse in Tennessee.

Goofing with filters led to wanting to goof with lenses...  That led to the Canon EOS M50.  Crop factor is down to a mere 1.61 and I have my choice of oh so many lenses thanks to an adapter from EF-M to EF and EF-S.  24.2mp of APS-C goodness.

With prices coming down, thanks to the relentless progress to new models, I am half wondering if a full-frame Canon EOS RP isn't within reach.  RF lenses are stupid expensive, but like the M50, there's an adapter to the far cheaper EF and EF-S lenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.