04 May 2020

I Hope Not

Tam posts on Canon rumors.

I hope that she's reading the tea leaves wrong about entry level ILC cameras going away.

I fear she's not wrong.

The problem with them disappearing is there's no place for someone who's not sure about getting a more capable camera to get one without jumping in with both feet.

The market is rapidly resembling a car market where you can buy pedal cars, crossover SUV's and Supercars.  With nothing between.

If my first mirrorless ILC camera had to be a full frame one, I'd still be saving for it, and I would have watched my savings go to other things twice since.

The EOS R is substantially more expensive than the EOS M50 I bought.

$600 with a kit lens vs $2,700 with lens.

Uh...  That's a lot of money to spend to see if you like taking pictures and swapping lenses.

Now that I've played with the M50 and am learning how to work a more fully featured camera, I can see a full frame mirrorless in my future.  Maybe an R or R5 because I like how Canon does things.

I worry that without a market that bridges the point and shoot and full-frame cameras, the market for those will disappear too.  It's already been contracting pretty darn hard as most everyone just uses their phones for all their photography needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.