25 May 2018

Pistol Table

When I scoff at the idea that I was actually trained by the Army to be an actual expert in shooting a pistol, despite the Expert marksman badge hanging on my uniform...

This is why.

You'll note that it's still geared to an M1911A1's magazine capacity.

Despite the 31m maximum range, you merely have to hit a full-size torso target anywhere.  I think that's the same size as an IPSC cardboard cut out.  Hitting that anywhere on the cardboard would count.

The amount of time to engage each target is generous and the targets are easy to see.

The purpose of the Army training is more along the lines of learning us to not shoot ourselves or each other.  Then proving that with live ammo.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. 31 meters? Why 100', more or less? And the tables say 'no more than', does that mean it is sometimes run at less?

    At least the MARSOC and AFSOF courses are a bit more ... challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I retired USAF in '04 with 2 weeks shy of 21 years. The last 4 years I was in I didn't have to qualify with the M-9 as I scored expert on my previous qualification. They would also change the rules every time. My last qualification was 3 ten round magazines and 3 targets that had a 10" 10-ring and the targets were 14" square at 20 meters. To qualify I needed 26 rounds to be on the paper. For expert 10 rounds inside the 10-ring on each target and I had 4" groupings.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.