10 May 2018

What Price Cachet

I hankered for an M1911A1 since I got out of the Army.

Mine was a Colt frame with an Ithaca or Remington-Rand slide (I can't remember which, just that I know my pistol wasn't marked Colt, but the serial number, 1164935, is definitely Colt).

My dad gave me his Remington-Rand.  I stupidly sold it, bought it back and traded it off for a Glock 21.  I was happy for a while, but the hankering returned.

An AMT Hardballer in stainless didn't scratch the itch well enough.

For years now my M1911A1 needs have been served by a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 USGI model.  I bought it brand new in 2006 for the lofty sum of $517.  I replaced the wood stocks with NOS brown plastic just like my issue gun had.

There's lots of detail differences between the gun I was issued and that Springfield, but it's 80% there and that's enough for me, even if it's Brazilian.  But they don't make this specific model anymore.

Auto-Ordnance sells a repop M1911A1 that has fewer detail differences yet.  Brownell's only wants $469.99 for it.

Rock Island Arsenal / Armscorp sells a 1911A1 clone at MSRP $530 which is similar to the farbs on my Springfield.

I think the RIA is made in the Philippines, I am not sure where Auto-Ordnance is made.

These are not used or abused guns.  They're brand new, albeit not the utter top end.

All three choices do a good job of mimicking the real thing at a fairly affordable price.

They lack the cachet of the real deal.  They also lack the 40-50 years of abuse by GI's.

Which brings us back to the CMP...

I remember good old 1164935.  It didn't have a front sight.  It had distinct evidence of the hatch coaming nailing the mainspring housing and grip-safety.  It definitely rattled when you shook it.

My gun was one of the better ones too.

People pay a premium for the real deal.  A well worn Remington-Rands have asking prices of $1,500 to $2,500 on Gunbroker as we speak.

5 comments:

  1. TLDR: I decided long ago that I don't need the real deal. Nor even a close approximation of the real deal.

    My first "1911" was an AMT Hardballer that my dad gave me. I gave it back when I got a Colt M1991 Commander. He subsequently gave it to one of his brothers. I wish he'd given it back to me. :)

    I traded the M1991 for a Sig P220, which I later sold. And it left me pining away for another "1911". I wish I still had that M1991.

    I then had a RIA "1911", one of their GI models. It worked fine, I never had any issues with it. I even liked it. :) I'd even have another in the future if I get the hankering.

    But I sold it for the $$ after I got a Ruger SR1911 Commander. Which fills my "need" for a "1911" just fine.

    I like the Commander sized "1911's" better than the full sized ones, but I'd be perfectly happy with only full sized "1911's".

    I like the "1911" platform, but I'm not generally prepared to pay a relatively high price for one.

    Your Mileage Will Vary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup.

      I occasionally get nostalgic for the very first handgun I ever did buy. A first gen Glock 17.

      Did you know that there's Glock collectors? Have you seen what a 17 gen 1 goes for?

      Yeah... I think I'll just control the nostalgia for a while.

      Delete
  2. Fyi the auto ordnance is made here in Massachusetts. I heard they used to suck, but I'd be surprised if that's still the case

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we have Brazil for Springfield, Philippines for RIA and Massachusetts for AutoOrdnance.

      Not a single budget 1911 is made in the USA! ;)

      Delete
  3. My Remington Rand is tight, but I suspect it was arsenal refurbed not long before it was liberated from Uncle Sam.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.