18 March 2022

Keys Please

The keyless entry key-fob for the The Beast comes in two parts.

The rear part with the buttons is the remote transmitter.  The front part with the key-blade is the key.

Surprisingly, for a GM keyless fob, both parts are very affordable.

The bottom one is an ebay cludge to get a flip-key instead of the fixed blade.

Tonight I discovered that the part numbers for the 2011-2013 Caprice PPV are the same as the 2008-2009 Pontiac G8.

While the Caprice never came with a flip-key, the G8 did!

I think I will wander over to the local Chevy dealer and see if they have the flip-end and have it cut for my key from the fixed example.  Might have to put up with it having a Pontiac logo, but... hey!

What's also interesting is they're programmed separately from each other.  The key section by starting the car with a known-good key then shutting it off and using the new key to start the car within 10 seconds of shutting it down.  The transmitter section is done from a programming mode reached from the driver information center.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.