28 March 2022

Oh No!

A buddy who's been talking about getting a gun for home defense for a LONG LONG time called about the topic again yesterday.

His wife has finally signed off on the idea of having a gun in the house and he starts asking me about shotguns.

Specifically no-stock, pistol-grip models.

This will be his first, ever, gun.  He's not a shooter and didn't grow up in a household that had guns in it.

I tried to be gentle.

Considering that my home defense (Harvey's too) gun is an AR, I think you can tell what my opinion of using a shotgun in that role is.

The AR is lighter and handier, uses smaller and lighter ammunition and is easier to reload if you need to.  It's also more precise.

I pointed him at Palmetto State Armory's web page and he can get a complete AR for under $500 less mags and ammo.

I tried to explain that an AR is just plain easier to shoot and the shotguns he's linking me to on Gunbroker aren't really novice guns.  Sure, they look "cool" but they're harder to use.

I even went so far as to say that if he must have a shotgun for home defense, then get one with a stock!

He was surprised to hear that you still have to aim a shotgun.

I expect a few more calls and a trip to the range before he makes a decision.

PS: He's so new to this he didn't even realize that a couple ways he suggested we purchase the AR are flat illegal.  Real live people are in jail for it illegal stuff.

I explained that too.

1 comment:

  1. Bear Creek Arsenal will beat that price on an AR and I've been satisfied with what I got from them.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.