22 January 2018

HOT HOT HOT

I forgot to mention; here I was thinking I'd fixed The Lovely Harvey's car.

The random misfire went from all four cylinders to just two with the application of Sea Foam to the fuel.  She reports that it's feeling better everyday.

Carbon build up on the valves does that.  Getting better means that the foam is dissolving the carbon, but takes some time.

Just to prove there's no rest for the wicked, in the midst of a really bad batch of misfires and surges... the temp gauge near pegged.  Not quite to the red line before it dropped back down, but alarmingly high.

I'd already replaced a lot of the cooling system, but we'd never done a thermostat.

Cheap.

Easy.

Harvey had never seen a test of one so I boiled the old one for her.  It didn't open.

She was uncertain that anything was supposed to happen, so I boiled the new one too.  It opened dramatically and she said, "Oh! It's obvious now!"

New thermostat installed and suddenly she's got heat again!

Here's an odd one, no heat is an early symptom of a stuck thermostat in her car because it's a two stage unit and the second stage feeds the heater core.  So in a partial fail the radiator will still get flow, but not the core.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.