24 February 2020

Latches And Locks

Something I've long been sick of with cars, but GM in particular, is the clever little locks for the electrical components.

Thanks to the fuel tank and catch can, I can add emergency brakes, evap lines and PCV line to the list.

I don't mind quick connect.

I actually like having connectors that can't be plugged in wrong.

What I hate is not being given enough slack to see what I'm doing because every single connector has a different latching system.

Do I squeeze the sides?

Do I press down on the top, bottom, front or back?

Is there a locking tab that has to come out?

Can a finger actually press the tab down far enough or do I need a tool?

In my mind quick connect is also quick disconnect.  The connection should go both ways.

Far too often it's easy to connect and near impossible to disconnect.

Or it would be easy to disconnect if someone had made it visible.

Another thing that comes up way too often is there being many connections to get one part free.

The Precious' center console being a prime example.  There is a separate connector for the hazard lights, cigarette lighter, each seat heater, traction control and accessory plug.  I know that GM has larger connectors that can handle all the wires, why don't they ever use them?

Especially considering the number of jobs that require that damn console to come out!

One becomes tempted to buy a bunch of pig-tails and make a single connection harness for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.