11 February 2020

Buy Then Read

Following with tradition, I bought the camera then read the reviews...

That's not really true.

I read a lot of reviews of mirrorless swapping lens cameras.

A couple of things stuck out reading reviews of most of them.

First:  A real photographer will want a more capable body.

Second: The range of cameras I was most interested in is strictly for beginners, but said in a tone that implies that beginners should get the more capable body anyway.

OK.

The "perfeshunul" mirrorless body from Canon is the EOS R.  Just three times the price.

It's pretty much better in every way than the M50 I settled on.

It's also almost exactly three times more money than I had to spend and I'd just have a body without lenses.

Both have adaptors that let you use the more common and affordable EF-S lenses, so if I restrict my glass purchases to said EF-S mounts I will have glass to upgrade to.

However "strictly for beginners".

That's what I am!  A beginner!

Even though the Powershot S5IS and SX20IS that I have owned have a lot of features, they're just skimming the surface.

The M50, though a beginner's camera, is a genuine "real" camera.

Reading the manuals tells me I made the correct choice because there's things on the M50 which work the same way as the SX20IS.  That should flatten the learning curve a bit.

Someday I might want an EOS R, but I don't think I'm ready yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.