27 February 2020

Macro

The old S5 IS had epic super-macro mode.

The SX20 IS was good, but not as good.

The M50's kit 15-45mm lens is NOT a macro lens:


But tonight I remembered that Marv had bought a set of cheap lenses that screwed into the 58mm threads on the hood for the S5.  Standard ΓΈ58mm threads...

So I screwed the "wide angle" lens into my 49-58 adapter and then onto my kit lens.

With manual focus, it does OK.

Not as well as the SX20, but...

I'm still going to be getting a dedicated macro lens for my M50.  The 28mm one is well thought of.

2 comments:

  1. What you're seeing in those pics is depth of field. With Macro lenses, it's very common to need to shoot at F11 or 16 to get as much depth as you can. That also means it's best to have the film parallel to the object to get the focal plane on it. You're shooting at an angle to the nickel. I can tell that because the farther you get from the bottom edge of that nickel the worse the focus is.

    Macro isn't particularly hard but it is demanding. I think the two most common solutions are either a ring light around your lens (never used one myself) or two floods pointing in from the sides. My point and shoot camera is a Ricoh WG-4 that has a built in ring of white LEDs around the lens and does that pretty well. The naked resolution of the camera isn't very good, but it does pretty good macro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an egg.

      I don't know what I don't know about all the settings yet and how they affect things.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.