19 August 2021

Dry Fire Ruminations

My love affair with the S&W Model 59 begins long before I could even own a firearm legally.

I bought a Daisy Soft-Air Model 59 from K-Mart.

I had a lot of fun with that toy gun.

Daisy did an excellent job of making an homolog of the S&W.

Every time I handle it, I am taken back to The Memorial Union and hanging with FuzzyGeff and Gerber.

The Daisy is the "gun" we used to walk Ben from The Union to the ISU library, in broad daylight.  Nobody even batted an eye, not even the campus security who sped away.

The safeties are different.  The real gun's safety is cosmetic and replaced by a sliding stud on the frame of the airsoft.

But...

The whole point of this post is my getting familiar with DA/SA pistols.

Doing dry fire drills I've managed to find a grip where the sights don't meander when I pull the double-action pull and isn't different from a good single-action pull.

I'm really liking this old gun!

Enough to carry it?

Prolly not.

But I could.  Especially if Florida ever got open carry.

Mec-Gar makes 17-round magazines for it that work splendidly, making it just a little heavier than a Glock 17 or 45 or a S&W M&P-9 with the same number of shots.

There's nothing wrong with the design at all, beyond it being complicated and expensive to make today.

Obviously, it's survived since 1975, it's durable.

Still...

2 comments:

  1. It's a little hard for me to believe, but this next Saturday is the tenth anniversary of Bill Gerber's death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn. Time flies. I will have to hoist a few beverages in memory of the Gerb.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.