23 August 2021

Broke The Paradigm

There was once a time when I played Champions regular like.

In fact, I started playing THE Super Hero Role Playing Game before I became an avid comic book reader.

Because GURPS 3e, like Champions (which the Hero system is based on) is points based, and since the GURPS tool-box has all the stuff you need to make a super-hero... PLUS a Supers supplement...

It was a no-brainer to make Supers campaigns.

But...

It was very expensive to buy a ranged attack that could out-range a 9mm pistol.  48 points got you a pretty epic 7d(3) impaling attack that only did full damage to 17 yards and was maxed out at 34!  Rof 2.  Oh and you can't use it in high magnetic fields or underwater the way I bought it.  And it needed to be coupled with 72 point gravity power.

120 points and someone with a Glock can shoot at you with impunity from 50 yards.  Not that I was scared of Glocks with 74 points of hardened DR

With the default 500 points in hand, it occurred to me that I could go very dark and not break any rules.

Make a normal 100 point character who's a sniper and toss 400 points into wealth.

Buy a bespoke .50 Cal rifle (13d(2) crushing and 2,200 for 1/2D range with a max of 7,100 yards) and pop villains as they cross into the line of fire.  Fire your shot, relocate while the round was still in flight and set up in a new location.

This made me the target of the heroes!  You didn't just KILL the bad guys.

But taking one action a week isn't fun for long.  My character escaped justice because I stopped playing him.

Then I noticed that I could make a normal 100 point character with 100 points of wealth and 300 points of Advanced and have nigh invincible technology.  And have a weapon that certainly out-ranged a 9mm pistol.

1 comment:

  1. :-) Amusingly mirrored a bit of my Champions/Hero experience as the last character I played wound up being used by the GM (after I wandered off into exile) as a super villain because I made him the ultimate min/max to specifically target the "standard" builds... Was NOT nearly as much fun because it was simply too effective...

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.