02 August 2021

Range Day With A Dead Battery

Took Agnes to the 100 yard range last Tuesday to try and stretch my shooting legs.

And with a dead cell phone couldn't take a picture of my triumphant group!  It acted like it took the picture as it died, but alas...

A perfect clover leaf with a flier just two bullet diameters outside it.

Wow it's so much easier to see what you're doing with a 9x scope than 5x.

A two and change pound trigger that breaks like glass is so much easier than a creepy milspec AR.

.270 in a bolt gun thumps the shoulder with a bit more authority than an AR too.

I gotta say, I'm impressed with my Savage... and it's near the bottom rung of the non-Axis lineup too.  The package series are good guns, people just need to get unsnobbed about it not being a Winchester or Remington.

3 comments:

  1. I did some trigger work on my first Gen Axis and put it in a different stock. And it shoots extremely well. And I love my 110.

    They're not bad at all.

    But I'm still partial to my Model 70

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pre-Accutrigger Savage package rifle in .30-06 Spr shoots more accurate than I can. As I believe I've said before, the only bad thing about it was the absolutely awful Simmons 3-9x40 scope it came with. I put a Bushnel 4-12x50 on it that still was not a terribly expensive scope, but far superior to the Simmons and I've been completely pleased with it since then. I know McThag doesn't care for the kind of cheap looking synthetic stock it came with, but it works for me. I don't really even miss the Accutrigger, or maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. The trigger on it is smooth and light enough. As good or better than most other factory triggers I've tried in other contemporary production line made rifles, even those from much more highly touted names. I could put an aftermarket Timney or something in there and probably still be under the $$$ I could have spent on some of the "cool" brand names. I've always thought that 1/2 the reason Savage gets so much hate is the barrel nut, and the other half mostly that people assume nothing affordable can ever be any good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agnes came with Nikon glass and I have no complaints! The Accutrigger is the bee's knees, but Willard's 110E breaks almost as cleanly with it's early 80's conventional trigger.

      I think the reason people don't like Savage boils down to looks and where the bolt handle is without a shroud hanging off the end. They expect that overhang and it looks odd to them.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.