17 November 2021

It All Started In 2016...

I bought a passel of Gen2 PMAGs in foliage green to match the foliage green furniture.

Up until that point I'd been using the bog standard aluminum 30-rounders.

The only problems I've ever had was with some old Center Industries mags I got from a friend who was in the Iowa National Guard.  I suspect they were in the discard bin and he liberated them.

They wouldn't feed the last three rounds in an AR, but were fine in my Daewoo DR-200.

New springs and Magpul anti-tilt followers and they're back in service.

Those five mags were my ONLY mags for quite a while.

I liked the combination so well I bought some from Bravo Company.

I still maintain that there's nothing inherently wrong with the USGI 30-rounder once the light green follower shows up, as long as the spring isn't worn and the feed lips aren't cracked or distorted.

I decided to give PMAGs a try because I kept hearing stories about how well they were working.

But what made me buy a shitload of them was a mention of those feed lips.

Aluminum can bend past its elastic limit and show no sign of doing so.  That will leave the lips out of spec and cause the magazine to be unreliable.

The plastic that PMAGs are made from will break before they deform past their elastic limit.  So if they're out of spec, it's visible as cracks.

But bonus!  There are several reports of badly cracked PMAGs still feeding fine.  The 2 and 3 gunners swear by them.  That's an endorsement, because they abuse their shit worse than a crunchie.

So far no other model has lifted my skirt.

2 comments:

  1. I have only had on PMAG fail out of roughly 50. It would only feed with 25 rounds or less. It's marked as such in a box of broken toys.
    I have shoved a PMAG up the magazine well so far it would not allow the bolt to go forward during a run and gun rifle match. 100% operator error. It took two people to get the the magazine out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The M3 PMAG has an overtravel stop on it because of the shoving the mag too far problem. I would have to dig out an M2 to check for the overtravel provisions.

      It can happen with a USGI mag too. I saw it in basic with a 20-rounder.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.