17 November 2021

Who Makes A Crappy AR Magazine?

I can remember the days of Orlite and Canadian surplus Thermold magazines.

Who else rememebers USA brand magazines?  Those were very hit and miss.

I sit here wondering if there's a truly horrible AR magazine made any more.

Wait... Lemme start over.

A truly horrible standard capacity magazine.  Marv has an atrocious 100 round double drum from KCI.

I'm totally in the dark except for reading people complain on the internet.  There's lots of lists that haven't been updated in years.

I bought a lot of USGI magazines and PMAG M3's and because they've been working, never looked for other alternatives.

The only magazine outside those two forms we've snagged is a Hexmag to color match Marv's Behind Every Blade of Grass carbine.

I've read several places that like Lancers.

Who's had a good or bad experience with an AR mag lately?


6 comments:

  1. Way back in days of 1980 yore, Ram-Line made a magazine which was advertised to fit the AR-15, Mini-14 and something else I cannot recall. Just their appearance alone did not inspire much confidence.

    jrg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure either FuzzyGeff or Softwarejanitor had a couple of those.

      Delete
    2. I had one. It worked, kinda sorta. Not real well in either a Mini-14 or an AR. Actually I probably still have it around here somewhere.

      Delete
  2. I have a pair of ETS coupler magazines that feed reliably but seem to have a magazine catch at the edge of tolerance since they don't seat in my S&W lower as easily and consistently as PMAGs or GI magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bar on AR mags is pretty high these days. I've tried a bunch of the ones recently on the market, PMags, Hexmags, Hera, Lancers, etc. I haven't had issues with any of them.

    I also have bought a lot of USGI mags or civilian market from USGI contractors like D&K or Okay. If you shop around and buy in quantity you can sometimes get them for as low as $10-$12 each.

    The real problem is finding ammo to put in them... or being able to afford it if you can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have the better part of a case of NC produced Thermelts in the basement. The feed lips are so terrible I couldn't with a good conscience give them away. Molding flash everywhere, rough to the point of scratching the brass, and in most AR's the bolt won't close over them. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.