24 April 2022

Too Computerized

Had a glitch with The Beast when I did a good deed and donated some old clothes to Goodwill.

Started the car and no radio.

Had the friendly Chevy logo start screen and the HVAC was working correctly, but no music.

Cycling the radio power got me to a blank screen for the radio with all other functions working correctly.

While at Wendy's with Marv I looked up what the problem might be.

Turns out that it's running a variation of Windows 98!

If the voltage is a little wonky it gets stuck in a loop and one or more radio/hvac functions will stop working.

Several people suggested checking the fuse and seeing how crusty it was.

Mine was very crusty.  Removing and reinserting it a few times cleaned up the blades and the radio came back to life.

Huzzah!

I hope that actually fixed the issue...

3 comments:

  1. Geez. And people wonder why I despise Microsoft and Windows... FWIW, the credits screen on my wife's Silverado mentions GPL2 and Linux...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you try to eject a CD and it won't (because it's a Chevy thing - or Silverado anyway) -Pull the #48 fuse and count to ten and it'll start working again.

    Ask me how I know (rolling eyes emoji)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salt laden humid air - does marvels to electronics. One of the best arguments I know to find a 65 impala and call it good (I am constantly searching in salt free places).

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.