20 April 2022

Oh Yeah

Why do I have a replica Colt 1851 in .44 here?

Because Willard wondered if the holster we'd originally ordered for the Colt New Service would work with it.

It did.

I'm still confused as to why the gun came here instead of the holster going there.

I appreciate the chance to play with it, though.

Marv disagrees, but I prefer the looks of the later 1860 and its blended barrel to the slab sided 1851.

And looking is pretty much all I'd ever do.  Black powder's popularity and accessibility appears to have waned dramatically compared to even just a few years ago.

1 comment:

  1. I have a Pietta made Remington 1858, but I really don't shoot it with black powder, I have an R&D .45 Colt conversion cylinder and I mostly shoot "cowboy" type loads, mainly made with IMR Trail Boss powder and cast 255 grain bullets. I also have a Colt Walker clone which I think is a Uberti. That one I usually use Hodgdon 777 and 44 round balls. It's a lot of work dealing with cap & ball, mainly the cleaning needed. 777 isn't as dirty as black powder but is still mildly corrosive so cleanup has to be rigorous. The Walker is absolutely massive.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.