03 August 2020

Be Concise

Dear YouTubers and Podcasters.

Don't cram three minutes of content into ten.

Summarize your point in the introduction.

Make your point in the body.

Repeat your point paraphrased from the opening statement.

Don't make asides that don't have anything to do with the point.

Don't tell us the story that made you think of your point BEFORE you've made it.

The supporting material isn't the body and shouldn't be presented until you've made the argument it supports.

Otherwise it's just you blabbering aimlessly.

PS: Mount your fucking microphone so the only part of you I can hear is your sleep inducing voice.

I don't wanna hear you breathing, chewing or swallowing.  None of those are part of your point, are they?

You don't aim the camera at squirrels fucking in the yard, right?  Why do you aim the microphone at something besides the subject?

3 comments:

  1. Don't cram three minutes of content into ten. I almost stopped looking at videos because of this. There are guys that are better at it and those are the ones I'll watch. I'll leave the list out because I don't think you're interested in machining.

    The Law of Technical writing applies to videos, too. "1. Tell them what you're going to tell them. 2. Tell them. 3. Tell them what you told them."

    There's a famous quote about writing that I do my best to take to heart, "I've made this letter long because I didn't have the time to make it short" It takes work and time to edit properly. I've literally spent hours working my longer blog posts to try and shorten them. It's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching machining vids!

      Someday I need to get off my butt and find someone with a lathe to cut the silencer that I paid the ATF to make.

      Delete
  2. Here! Here! I second this!

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.